Annealing Heat Treatment
Zion Industries is a leader in induction heating services including induction annealing. Induction Annealing is a metal heat treatment in which a metal material is exposed to an elevated temperature for an extended time and then slowly cooled. Annealing is largely characterized by induced micro-structural changes which are ultimately responsible for altering the material's mechanical properties. The ultimate goal of this process is to reduce the hardness of the metal and improve its ductility.
Annealing specifically refers to the process of bringing the material to its softest possible point. Our tempering process softens the metal but not to the full extent possible. The degree of temper depends on the material, the maximum temperature reached and the length of the cool down time. Process or stress relief annealing is used to negate the effects of cold work; that is, to soften and increase the ductility of a previously strain-hardened metal. Internal stresses may develop as a result of plastic deformation processes such as machining or grinding, non-uniform cooling in a welding or casting process, or a phase transformation. Distortion and warping may occur if the internal stresses are not removed. Annealing will eliminate these stresses when the part is heated to the recommended temperature, held there long enough, and slowly cooled to room temperature.
Why use annealing?
Modern induction heating provides many advantages over other heating methods and is commonly used for annealing applications. Heating through induction provides reliable, repeatable, non-contact and energy-efficient heat in a minimal amount of time. Solid state systems are capable of heating very small areas within precise production tolerances, without disturbing individual metallurgical characteristics. Induction can be used for either surface or through heating; case annealing is possible depending on time, temperature and the material's characteristics.
Why choose Zion Industries for induction annealing?
- We are industry leaders in induction heating with offices in Ohio, Michigan and North Carolina.
- Because we specialize in induction heating, our customers benefit from integrated induction annealing solutions in many industries.
- Our customers avoid excessive inventory and part handling through the use of induction annealing, which results in minimum waste and improved results at a low cost.
- We have top-notch technology, equipment, and process yielding units that meet the highest quality standards.
- Zion has been in the induction annealing and heat treatment industry for over 40 years.
Are you ready to get started? Request a quote today to learn more how we can improve your bottom line with affordable annealing services.